Let me say that I don't think TO is an absolute cancer that has no upside, even though that's exactly what many if not most NFL fans and analysts think. I think TO is immature, I think he's emotionally unstable, I think he's arrogant, I think he's a whiner, and I think he brings a lot of baggage to a team and its locker room. But make no mistake; TO is NOT the one thing holding the Cowboys back from being a great team. He has contributed to the lack of chemistry on the team, and he has certainly been a distraction from time to time, and I do not absolve him from responsibility when it comes to the lack of post-season Ws since he's been a Cowboy. But I also think it's important to remember that the guy has been coddled by an owner who seems to want his team in the spotlight no matter what, and a coach who doesn't have a strong-willed bone in his body. There's no leadership in the Cowboys' organization, and until that changes, they can get rid of every player who's holding them back and they still won't win a Super Bowl.
Having said that, I'm glad he's gone. I think only good comes from releasing him. Roy Williams is a talented receiver who was never going to get a real shot to excel as long as Owens was across the field from him. There should be fewer drama stories coming out of Valley Ranch, and fans don't have to go through the love him/hate him routine with Owens every time he catches a touchdown pass and then drops three in a row.
Other notes from the past week: Jon Kitna will be Romo's new backup. That's good because A) Kitna is not 78 years old, and will therefore be a better backup in case of a Romo injury than Brad Johnson was, and B) He's a veteran player who I expect to kick Romo's butt a little in camp and in practice, competing for the starting spot and by his actions, demanding that Romo improve. Anthony Henry went to the Lions for Kitna, and the Cowboys released Roy Williams (the safety) as well, making it look like they might need a little beefing up in the defensive secondary department. They have some promising young players who can hopefully step up, but it might be an area they need to address a little in the draft. Defensive lineman Chris Canty signed with the Giants, which is bad in two respects: 1) Canty's very good and will be missed (BUT, read on...) and 2) now he's on the Giants; a team with an already suffocating defensive line that the 'Boys have to play twice each year. Fortunately, I think point 1 will be canceled out by the news today that Dallas signed defensive tackle Igor Olshansky out of San Diego. He's been every bit as valuable to the Chargers as Canty's been to the Cowboys, so hopefully he'll keep the Dallas D-line just as strong.
My final interesting note. Everything sports-related that I've seen yesterday and today has been about where TO will go from here. Although almost every analyst swears that there are only 2 or 3 places where he could possibly end up, I've heard the following teams mentioned as possible destinations: Giants, Redskins, Vikings, Panthers, 49ers, Dolphins, Patriots, Jets, Ravens, Titans, Colts, Jaguars, Chargers, and Raiders. That's 14 out of a possible 31 (I'm obviously not counting Dallas). That's almost 50%. So while I frankly couldn't care less where he goes, I sort of don't know who to believe. I listened to three different sports radio shows and one television sports news show just today, and those were all the teams mentioned from all of them... but again, each analyst will insist that all but a couple of those teams are in no way possible. Weird.
1 comment:
T.O. being gone will help more than you think. I think that he is a silencer. What I mean is, even those who are leaders and can be leaders, can not get a word in with him around. He subtly shuts up every good word in a locker room. I think you will see ol' coach look a little different here without T.O. around.
Post a Comment