Sunday, December 13, 2009

Let's face it

This is not a playoff-caliber team. If they make it (which I'm highly doubting right now), they won't win their wildcard-round matchup.

One observation I've been meaning to make all year, though: Why doesn't anyone treat Dallas for what they are? Every loss triggers gloom and doom talk (whether a Week 2 loss by TWO points against a division heavyweight, or a Week 14 loss to division leading team who hasn't lost since before my first theology assignment of the semester was due). Some of it is justified. Much of it is not. Cowboys wins are discussed as if they're a so-so team ("It was a good win... but they could have done this this and this better..."), and losses are discussed as if they're the 2007 Patriots ("I can't beLIEVE they couldn't get that win!"). Perhaps Marshal Faulk on NFL Network's Gameday Morning show today said it best (and worst) when he said, "We talk about them like they're an elite team, but they really haven't earned that status." To which I would respond, "Well, then, wouldn't that be YOUR fault for giving them an unearned status?" You just can't have it both ways.

What they're not: A great team. So stop treating them like one.
What they are: A so-so team who hasn't really beaten anyone that impressive this year (with the exception of the Eagles a few weeks ago), and who struggles MASSIVELY with leadership/coaching issues, a FAR too involved owner, and end-of-the-season mental and physical toughness that rivals a 3-year old girl with swine flu. So let's treat them like one.

(I've got a follow-up post coming right away, but I want to keep each post to a reasonable length, so stay tuned.)

No comments: