For the third time this season, and the second time in 7 days, the Cowboys absolutely OWNED the Philadelphia Eagles to earn the team's first playoff victory since the 1996 season.
Saturday's game made me think that Jason Garrett really does have something of a clue. His offensive game plan was basically flawless. With an offense as multi-faceted as his is, the key seems to be MIX IT UP! And that's what he did. Felix Jones got the bulk of the carries, and he finished the game with close to 150 yards (averaging somewhere around TEN yards per rush -- not normal, but quite good). Tony Romo continued to look like an unflappable veteran, avoiding pressure from the Eagles' blitzing schemes (which came quite frequently). Roy Williams was even sighted a few times.
The defense was more of the same: smothering. McNabb was pressured all night long. I don't think he took too many sacks, but he was forced out of the pocket, forced into an intentional grounding call, and pretty much just didn't look like some elite playoff veteran quarterback.
Next comes the Minnesota Vikings. I must tread lightly here, because I have readers and family members who are Vikings fans. Fortunately for the family, we're all good-natured about football, and we like it when both the Vikes AND Cowboys do well... so I really think we'll all still be speaking to one another after this week's game.
All I'm going to say about Sunday's game is... it's a better matchup for the Cowboys than for the Vikings, in my opinion. Also, Minnesota's two offensive tackles are going to have their hands full trying to protect their (admittedly fantastic) 40-year old less-mobile-than-McNabb quarterback against the likes of DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer; two of the most bloodthirsty defenders in the league over the last month. Brett Favre just might wake up sorer on Monday morning than he ever has.
I'd continue (and I might over the rest of the week), but I fear my youngest brother would physically attack me if I didn't post something soon.
3 comments:
Let us not forget that while maybe not as mobile, much smarter is Favre than McNabb. Also, while the cowboys defense has looked awesome no team they've faced has had such a multi-faceted offensive attack. The Vikings are just plain good at throwing, catching, AND running. All three categories are among the best in the league. If the Cowboys figure out how to stop it they would be among the first. They have won four in a row, but lets look at who they beat. The Saints (a big win, but it wasn't a necessary one for N.O.), The Redskins (Wilton High School from my era might have beat them this year), The Eagles twice (Again, great games, but the Eagles relied all season on a passing game that once shut down, shuts down the whole offense.) As you can see, the Cowboys have to face something they haven't had to face since San Diego. Which was a loss. I'm not saying they'll lose, but I wouldn't jump to the game being in the Cowboys favor. Also, as far as a multi-faceted attack, it's true, but you can take Jones, Barber, and Choice out of the picture considering they are playing the #2 rushing D of the season. You better hope headcase Romo shows up again, because he won't be riding on his runners for this one. Oh, and while he's trying to pass it he has to worry about Jarred Allen and Ray Edwards and the league leading sack team. I'm just saying, I wouldn't get your hopes up.
And it is worth mentioning that the Cowboys are traveling up to Minnesota to play. Just throwing that out there.
Not that I want to hold a huge argument over this game in the comments section of a blog post... but I'd like to respond with a couple of things:
We can't categorically take away the Cowboys' running attack because Minnesota ranks 2nd in rush defense while simultaneously suggesting that the Vikings rushing attack is half of the fantastic "multi-faceted" offense they've got. Perhaps you didn't look two more spots down to find Dallas at number 4 in rush defense... nor did you apparently notice that Adrian Peterson hasn't hit 100 yards since Week 10, and that Dallas hasn't allowed a 100-yard rusher all season.
Secondly, I'd rather have won four straight against New Orleans, Washington, Philly, and Philly heading into this game instead of being in Minnesota's position. They've lost three of their last five. Wins over Cincinnati (the only victory over a playoff team for the Vikes since Week 8) and the Giants. Losses to Arizona, Carolina, and Chicago.
Thirdly, I think "headcase Romo" is a term that we can pretty much lose, since we haven't really seen anything "headcase" about him in at least half a season. And those two "scary" defensive linemen of yours haven't done anything too impressive for the last couple of months either.
I'm absolutely NOT guaranteeing any kind of victory or outstanding play from the Cowboys, nor any kind of defeat or rotten play from the Vikings. I'm just saying, under a little bit of scrutiny, it appears that a solid case in favor of the Vikings is lacking.
Post a Comment