I enjoy listening to sports radio. I often have Mike & Mike on the TV in the morning while I'm getting myself ready for the day. If it's later in the morning, I watch or listen to Colin Cowherd. In the car throughout the day I often listen to bits of Dan Patrick, Scott Van Pelt, and Doug Gottlieb.
I used to listen to this stuff and pretty much take it all in, and often agree with most of what I heard. Radio guys have a way of expressing their opinions well, and they can be quite persuasive. Over time, however, I've become much more critical, as I constantly hear inconsistencies and illogical conclusions.
For the last week, the biggest story line in most of these shows has been one apparently indisputable fact: The Steelers would absolutely smoke the Broncos. They're bigger, they're more physical, they have a defense that will shut Tebow down. They have Big Ben as their quarterback, and they will definitely win by three touchdowns.
I just didn't see it. It would seem that not one of these experts had watched Pittsburgh play for the last month. Big Ben has a terrible injury to his ankle that most players wouldn't go onto the field with. He's literally hobbling around like an 80 year old with a broken hip. The Steeler offense scored 9 points last week against Cleveland. Cleveland! I understood the Steelers being favored, but by multiple touchdowns? Didn't make sense to me.
Well, in case you live under a rock, the Broncos beat the Steelers yesterday, and they did it by scoring 29 points. They did it by passing the ball (which Tebow can't do, especially against one of the better pass defenses in the league).
And what am I hearing today? "Yeah, but the Steelers are a shell of themselves. They're banged up. Roethlisberger can't move like he normally can... yada yada yada." None of those things were surprises (Ben's been injured for weeks), but they didn't stop you from talking ad nauseum about how far superior the Steelers were to the Broncos.
I'm not saying the Broncos are a Super Bowl contender, I'm just trying to point out that I also didn't see Pittsburgh as "the team to beat" in the AFC, though it seems like everyone else thought they were. And "experts" should be more honest.
No comments:
Post a Comment