In last week's NFL draft the Cowboys traded up in the first round to select cornerback Morris Claiborne with the #6 pick. This was the only pick the Cowboys made in the draft that has made any real splash. It seems that almost everyone has an extreme view of this transaction. Analysts either love the pick because Claiborne was by far the best shut-down corner in the draft, and it's an area Dallas definitely needed to improve from last season. Others think they traded away too much for one good player when they have many positions they must reinforce to be contenders this season. So the overarching question being asked is, "Are the Cowboys one player away?" If Claiborne is really all they need to take a big step forward, then they will almost definitely make the playoffs this season (they were only a win over the eventual Super Bowl champions away from making them last season).
In light of all of this, I have to point you back to the THIS post I wrote when the Cowboys' season ended in January. Everyone who spends the offseason analyzing the NFL seems to have forgotten that the entire team's culture has been nosediving for years. So are they one player away? Not at all. Talent has never been the question of this team. I'm fine with the pick, as it seems that Claiborne is indeed a very good corner (and I spent a good chunk of last season being irritated with the ease with which other teams passed against the Cowboys). But, do I think he will push them over some kind of hump and help them get deep into the playoffs? I don't see how he can. Read my previous post. There is no evidence that the culture has made any positive changes, so I'll stick with what I said then. Until that happens, there's no real reason for optimism with this team. As someone who has began every NFL season for his 28 years with optimism about his team, this is tough for me to write, but that doesn't make it any less true.
So when you hear the analysts telling you the ways Dallas has improved their weak spots this offseason, listen closely. If they're not telling you how the front office has changed its approach and philosophy, then don't get your hopes up. They'll probably win a number of games. They could make the playoffs and even win the division. Still, don't be fooled.
No comments:
Post a Comment