Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Silliness

Sign of the season.
Number of posts on this blog between May and July: 3
Number of posts on this blog in the last two weeks: 5

ESPN.com recently posted in-depth analyses and previews of every NFL team. NFC East blogger, Matt Mosely, wrote a good summary post here where he mentioned some of the more "off the wall" predictions of some of ESPN's contributors. I think it's funny that some of these "expert" picks are talked about as "controversial" and as having "upset some readers." I've said this before regarding the weekly power rankings, but it also applies to all of this pre-season prediction-making and analysis and previewing and picking who's gonna be defensive player of the year and everything else. It doesn't matter. Readers who are "upset" over who an ESPN employee said is going to win the AFC wildcard spots really need to find something better to get passionate about. I can picture a couple of morons on their lunch break going, "Can you believe that Adam Schefter thinks Aaron Rodgers is going to be this year's MVP? I'm so mad! What a stupid idiot. Has that guy ever SEEN a football game? GOSH!"

I love to talk about football with friends, and I often ask for predictions and analysis myself (I occasionally even give it). I think it's part of the fun of sports. But I'll never get ANGRY with someone for making a prediction. That's just ridiculous. That's like me picking a fight with someone who thinks Papa John's makes better pizza than Pizza Hut. C'mon.

No comments: