Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Bye Week

Sometimes the best thing you can do is just take a week off.

With the Cowboys idle this week on their Bye, they gained a half game on all three of their division foes. The Giants suffered their first loss in a 48-27 drubbing in New Orleans (it wasn't that close). The Redskins continued their bid to be regarded as one of the league's worst teams by providing Kansas City with its first win of the season in a game that had ZERO touchdowns. And in probably the most embarrassing loss for the NFC East this week, the Eagles dropped a game to, of all teams, Oakland.

Some interesting facts:
The Cowboys have only lost to teams that were undefeated when they played. They've only beaten teams that were winless when they played.
The Giants beat (in this order, with records at the time of the game) Washington (0-0), Dallas (1-0), Tampa Bay (0-2), Kansas City (0-3), Oakland (1-3) and then today were pretty well dismantled by the unbeaten Saints. I'm not at all trying to say that Dallas is just about as good as the Giants because the Giants haven't played anyone. Read that sentence again. I'm just saying, I think that to an extent we've given the Giants a little bit too much credit.

I don't like how announcers and analysts use the phrase "come-from-behind victories" because it's ludicrous. I like the Vikings and I'm glad they hung on to beat Baltimore today (barely!), but that was NOT a come-from-behind victory. With something like 5:00 left in the game Minnesota led 30-17. With under 3:00 left Baltimore had taken the lead 31-30. At the two-minute warning Minnesota kicked a field goal to go ahead 33-31. The Ravens missed a last-second field goal and the Vikings won. How is that a come-from-behind victory? It looked more like a "gave-up-a-significant-lead-very-late-in-the-game-and-thanks-to-the-other-team-missing-a-field-goal-that-most-pro-kickers-make-they-lucked-out-a-win" victory. A few weeks back, I don't remember which game, a team scored a field goal on its first drive. The other team came back with a touchdown and went on to win handily. The announcers spoke of it as a come-from-behind victory. They came from behind by being down 3 points for 2:00 in the first five minutes of the game? That's ridiculous.

1 comment:

Joel Rohde said...

I have been saying that the Giants are the most over-rated team in the NFL since pre-season when no one could stop talking about how awesome they are. I'm sorry, but such a great team might get beaten, but not spanked. The Giants got spanked. I also couldn't figure out how people kept saying that even after they played Dallas and only won after having the game handed to them by Romo with 3 interceptions. I mean, seriously, they aren't THAT good and I think this week is just the first of quite a few more losses. They may win their division, but the Saints are the true force to be reckoned with. And Brett Favre :)