I haven't posted since before I attended my first NFL game where the Cowboys were defeated by the Broncos. Regardless of how you might interpret that, let me assure you that the reason was not because I've been bummed out for a week and a half and couldn't bring myself to talk about the Cowboys. That's simply untrue. As big of a fan as I am of football, and as much as I like the Dallas Cowboys, their performance and results on the field do not actually impact my life that much. When I'm watching a game at home and they're playing poorly, sometimes I bang my fist (once) on the coffee table. When they lose a game I spend about 15 minutes being somewhat less happy than I usually am. Then everything's normal again. For some reason, I'm often treated by friends and coworkers as if I live and die with Cowboys victories and losses. I don't believe there is any evidence to support such ideas, but I welcome any feedback from anyone who thinks that my week is strongly influenced by how the Cowboys played on Sunday.
Moving on... I commented to a friend this week that I think winning a close game over the Chiefs and losing a close game to the Chiefs are about the same thing. There's no way a good team should be playing a close game with the Chiefs. Of course, that's not actually true, though, because the only stat in the NFL at the end of the day that really matters is who won the game. At the end of the season if Dallas is on the verge of making the playoffs, no one can say, "Well, but since the Chiefs game was so close and they almost got beat, we'll have to keep them out of the playoffs." If Tony Romo throws 5 interceptions in a game against the Raiders but Dallas wins, it means exactly the same thing for the team as it would if Tony Romo threw 5 touchdown passes and 430 yards. Obviously, there's still something to ANALYSIS, because when we consider how a team looked in a win we can better understand its strengths and weaknesses, and how good of a team it is and whether or not it has a legitimate shot to make the playoffs.
So, now we're on a bye week. I've probably got some other stuff coming. But that's all for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment