Friday, July 23, 2010

Dez Bryant

It's been awhile. Sorry about that.

It's common for first-round picks who are expected to be superstars to "hold out" when training camps start as they try to work out the most lucrative deals they possibly can before finally signing with the team who drafted them. I always have a bitter taste in my mouth toward players like that.

The Cowboys drafted wide receiver Dez Bryant in the first round, and he's been fairly hyped-up. But instead of holding out, he's signing a contract this afternoon prior to the start of training camp tomorrow.

According to Jean-Jacques Taylor Bryant said, "This was my call. I told [agent] Eugene that I wanted to be in camp on time. I just want to play football. I told him to make it happen. I wasn't even all caught up with the money because this is just my first contract."

When asked about whether he was going to be a starter he said, "Don't get me wrong, I would love to start, but I don't care about it. I just want to earn my playing time and do whatever it takes to help this team."

Those are all the right answers from a first-round pick. Just thought I'd share.

1 comment:

Joel Rohde said...

Because it's his rookie year, he, like so many others, could go either way. He COULD be really great. He COULD turn out to be somewhat of a dud. You just never know. However, I think his attitude puts him ahead of the game already. I think he'll do fine.