I was just thinking: I really want Tony Dungy's job. Unless I'm completely missing something. I wonder how many hours the guy puts in a week. Dungy is one of the Football Night in America crew members. Every week, the show goes on the air at 5 pm (Mountain Time) and Dungy, along with Dan Patrick, and Rodney Harrison (with a little Peter King, Mike Florio, and Bob Costas thrown in) briefly break down the week's games. The show is largely highlights from all the games throughout the day, with Dungy and Harrison making a comment or two for each game, and then they take 2 or 3 games and break them down in a little more detail, describing some of the key plays.
Then at 6:20 Cris Colinsworth and Al Michaels take over for the Sunday Night game. Dungy's back at halftime for a brief opinion on how the game's going, then he shows up again after the game for a couple of comments about it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Tony Dungy. He's way smarter about football than I am, but I could make at least as many intelligent comments as him in 1.5 hours of work.
So from my vantage point, it looks like all he really has to do is make sure and scan the football headlines every day so he knows if a huge trade went down or if a key player is injured. Then, he just shows up at 30 Rockefeller Center in NYC on Sunday and watches every game (or even just the RedZone channel) with a few other football experts, then makes some on-air comments, then watches the Sunday Night game to make a few more on-air comments. It really doesn't seem like outside of Sunday he needs to work more than about an hour a week!
Am I taking too much away from Dungy? Do you think he scours film for 15 hours a day during the season? I dunno. I just think it'd be a dream job. Spend the week with family, volunteering, doing ministry and mentoring (or what have you), and then Sunday is GAME DAY and you just have to watch games and talk about them. And get paid handsomely. Nice.
1 comment:
I love The Dunge, but you're right, I don't think he is using his football savvy to it's greatest extent. I believe you could do what he does. The difference is his rep, obviously. What I do get a kick out of, however, is any time they have ANY question pertaining to morality of a player they always go his way. Ask the Christian, they know EVERYTHING about being good.
Post a Comment