When the end of the NFL season rolls around, I often hear on sports radio or other sports outlets about the fact that many fans whose teams are out of the playoff hunt cheer for their team to lose in order to get a better draft pick in preparation for the next season. The question is often posed, "Would you root for your team to lose once they're mathematically eliminated from playoff contention so that they can get a better draft pick in the off-season?"
I feel like it's maybe been three or four years running that that question has come up, and before this season, it was always hypothetical for me. I'd usually think to myself, "I don't think I'd cheer for my team to lose, but I suppose it makes sense."
Well, today (really the last few weeks) that question was no longer hypothetical. Having faced the issue head-on, I can now answer unequivocally that I rooted for my team to win every game they played. I still understand the logic of rooting for a loss, I've just discovered that that's not the kind of fan I am. Being a fan, to me, means hoping your team wins. Always. No matter the circumstance. Period. It's okay if you disagree.
I guess this is how I see it: I get 16 games per year to cheer on my team. If they make the playoffs (which I, of course, hope for... and usually expect) I get bonus games. Nothing should be able to lower the number of games I get excited about, though. Now, if the 'Boys are completely out of the hunt, I will go to far less trouble to make sure I watch the game, but nothing will make me give up two or three (or more) games from the season and start rooting against them.
That's all I had to say tonight!
1 comment:
Agreed. I really wanted the Vikings to win this week. They lost to Detroit. That sucks. They at least won on Tuesday against the Eagles. That was nice.
Post a Comment