Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Predictions You've Been Waiting For

In case this doesn't show up in your feed reader right away, I'd like to clarify that this post was written Thursday morning before the NFL season began.


My division winner predictions for the 2011 season:

NFC NORTH: Green Bay Packers
I think Chicago and Detroit are both legitimate contenders in this division, but Green Bay won the Super Bowl last year with about half of their team out with injuries. The Pack is the best team in the division.

NFC SOUTH: Atlanta Falcons
There are three good teams in this division. I think Matt Ryan's the real deal, and he'll lead his team to a division championship.

NFC EAST: Dallas Cowboys
Most people will think I'm simply voting with my heart instead of my head in this case. I can't deny that there may be a little bit of that involved, but if you read my last post, I believe that it can be clearly demonstrated that the 'Boys could be a 12-win team, and they have an easier schedule than the heavily favored Eagles.

NFC WEST: St. Louis Rams
Seattle won this division last year with a losing record. The Seahawks, if anything, have taken a step back this year. The Rams will be better as Sam Bradford continues to improve. Overall, though, it doesn't matter who wins this division.

NFC WILDCARDS:
1. Philadelphia Eagles -- Just because I picked the Cowboys to win the East doesn't mean I don't think the Eagles will be very good.
2. New Orleans Saints -- I wouldn't be surprised if the Saints won the South, so I have to at least put them in the playoffs. I think Tampa Bay is going to be a good team this season, and they will certainly contend for the last playoff spot. I just couldn't put them in because they're (in my opinion) the third best team in their own division, and I don't see them beating out the Eagles/Giants/Bears/Lions for the wildcard spot.

AFC NORTH: Pittsburgh Steelers
They went to the Super Bowl last year, and they didn't get any worse.

AFC SOUTH: Houston Texans
This pick is based almost entirely on the fact that Peyton Manning will not be playing the first couple (maybe more) games for the Colts. Houston has been taking some steps forward, and I think they can come out on top here this year. I think Kerry Collins will perform well for the Colts, but he's had almost no time with the team, and he's no Manning.

AFC EAST: New England Patriots
I don't know what I have to say here. New England has been finding a way to be good for more than a decade now.

AFC WEST: San Diego Chargers
This shouldn't be surprise to anyone. This division is fairly awful. The Chiefs are the only other team that will probably have a winning record.

AFC WILDCARDS:
1. New York Jets -- They've been in the AFC Championship game twice in a row. I think they'll at least make the playoffs.
2. Baltimore Ravens -- It seems like there's a big drop-off in the AFC after the probable playoff teams. Indianapolis can compete for this spot, and maybe the Chiefs? But who else? The Browns? Titans?

NFC CHAMP: Dallas Cowboys
If I'm right about my playoff picks (Packers, Falcons, 'Boys, Rams, Eagles, Saints), then any of the teams will be viable candidates for the Super Bowl - except the Rams. But if I'm right about Dallas winning the division, it's because Jason Garrett and Rob Ryan have been able to get the team to play to its potential, and if that happens, they can beat anyone.

AFC CHAMP: San Diego Chargers
This pick is based solely on the fact that San Diego has been in the hunt until the end quite a bit recently. I did a little bit of eeny-meeny-miny-mo in the AFC, I'll admit.

SUPER BOWL CHAMP: Dallas Cowboys
C'mon, if I end up being right, and the Cowboys end up in the Super Bowl (a long shot, I'll grant you), there's no way I'm not going to be cheering for them to win. I can't put myself in a position where I have to root even a little bit for the opponent so that my predictions will be correct. Plus, I think if you just look at these two teams, the 'Boys are more talented.

SUPER BOWL MVP: DeMarcus Ware
Yes, it can be quite difficult for a defender to win the MVP of the Super Bowl, but for Dallas to be this successful in the first place, they've got to be playing great defense. If they really end up facing San Diego in the Super Bowl, Ware will need to be all over Philip Rivers for the Cowboys to win. I'll predict 4 or 5 sacks for DeMarcus in the Super Bowl. It really all just comes down to this: Ware is the best player on the Cowboys team, so it makes sense to pick him as the MVP.

Argue away!

No comments: