In January I wrote a pretty dismal post about the 2011 Cowboys and how, without a significant change in the culture of the organization, Dallas fans should not get their deep postseason hopes up. As far as I can tell, such a change has not taken place. Even so, as I sit here 12 hours before the NFL season kicks off, I have picked the Cowboys to win the NFC East. My reasoning is quite simple, and is not a decision I would fight to the death for. The Cowboys tend to make the playoffs about every other year. That's about it. They should have made it last year and didn't. I expect this to be a season where they maybe shouldn't and do. I picked them as division champs instead of a wild card purely because I'm not completely sold on any NFC East team. The Giants didn't even look like a Super Bowl-caliber team until they actually got there. The Eagles came on strong late last season, but have been very up-and-down since acquiring Michael Vick - a man who has trouble staying healthy. On paper the Redskins should be improved, their most notable addition this season is rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III, but I don't see them as a last-to-first kind of team.
So there's my brief intro to the 2012 Cowboys season (following an off-season in which I followed pretty much NO football goings on whatsoever). Every year my wife and I make predictions about the coming season and score them in our own way. At the end of the year a prize waits for the highest scorer. Here are my wife's and my entirely un-expert predictions for all 8 NFL division winners, all 4 wild card playoff makers, both conference champs, Super Bowl champs, and Super Bowl MVP (with brief comments on my picks -- I'm not qualified to analyze hers!).
AFC NORTH
Her: Pittsburgh Steelers
Me: Baltimore Ravens
I suspect the Ravens offense is finally catching up to its defense, which could be scary for Big Ben's Steelers.
AFC SOUTH
Her: Tennessee Titans
Me: Houston Texans
The Colts shouldn't be in the running, even with the acquisition of Andrew Luck. This might be a Tennessee/Houston toss-up.
AFC EAST
Her: New England Patriots
Me: New England Patriots
They usually win this division. Buffalo seems shaky. Miami always seems shaky. The Jets are an inconsistent circus. Give me Brady & the Pats.
AFC WEST
Her: Denver Broncos
Me: Denver Broncos
It wasn't until considering all four AFC West teams that my wife and I decided it's just a bad division. Might as well root for our city's Broncos and its new hero, Peyton Manning.
AFC WILDCARDS
Her: Houston Texans, Baltimore Ravens
Me: Pittsburgh Steelers, San Diego Chargers
Don't really know why.
NFC NORTH
Her: Green Bay Packers
Me: Green Bay Packers
15-1 last season, with tons of injuries. Don't see any other North teams making a serious challenge.
NFC SOUTH
Her: Atlanta Falcons
Me: Atlanta Falcons
Tough call between the Falcons & Saints, but the suspensions and issues with the Saints over the off season tilts it toward the birds.
NFC EAST
Her: Philadelphia Eagles (we're still on speaking terms... barely)
Me: Dallas Cowboys
What can I say? I'm an optimist even when I know I shouldn't be.
NFC WEST
Her: San Francisco 49ers
Me: San Francisco 49ers
In a weak division, the '9ers are the only strong team.
NFC WILDCARDS
Her: New York Giants, Dallas Cowboys
Me: New Orleans Saints, Detroit Lions
Can't believe I don't have two NFC East teams in the playoffs.
AFC CHAMPS
Her: New England Patriots
Me: Denver Broncos
Go big or go home, I guess
NFC CHAMPS
Her: Green Bay Packers
Me: Green Bay Packers
SUPER BOWL CHAMPS & MVP
Her: Green Bay, Aaron Rodgers
Me: Green Bay, Aaron Rogers
If he does that stupid discount double-check move I'll definitely groan, though.
No comments:
Post a Comment