Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Three Questions

Most bloggers would kill for statistics like mine. Get this: A full 50% of my readership regularly comments to me and interacts with me regarding this blog.

It gets slightly less impressive when you realize that 50% comes out to 1 of 2 readers.

Anyway, 1 of my 2 readers suggested that I use this space to answer the following three questions. I don't see why I shouldn't, so here we go.

1. Brandon Weeden threw 4 interceptions against the Eagles and the Eagles still only barely beat the browns. Are they going to be bad this year or was this game a fluke?
First of all, today is known as "overreaction Monday" for a reason. Every fan inflates whatever they see (good or bad) during Week 1 and thinks it automatically means that their team is either going to win the Super Bowl or get the first pick in the draft. Week 1 last year included bad losses by Denver, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, and the New York Giants. All four made the playoffs, and the Giants won the Super Bowl. By contrast, the Bills & Eagles both won by double digits and neither looked very good the rest of the season.

Having said that, I'm not now, nor have I ever been on the Eagles bandwagon 2012. Many have predicted them to win the division. I just see problems with consistency by Michael Vick -- and that's if he can stay healthy for a full season (which rarely happens). They did look pretty bad on Sunday. They'll fix some of the problems, but they're a mediocre team.


2. Are the 49ers as good as the Packers?
Simple answer? They were yesterday. And if "good" is based on how far into the postseason you make it, they were last year too. I picked the Packers to win the Super Bowl, and I'm not necessarily jumping off that boat yet. But San Francisco is very tough. I still think Green Bay wins the North. Maybe we'll get to see a rematch for the NFC Championship in January. Then this question will be settled in a very important way.

3. Is RGIII really as good as he looked?
I've never watched him play, so I don't really know. What I do know is that his head coach and his offensive coordinator (Shanahan sr. & jr.) had drawn up an almost flawless game plan for the rookie's debut. New Orleans is one of the toughest places in the league to play. The 'Skins offensive game plan was heavy on short, quick passes (RG3 didn't throw hardly anything deep downfield, and his first six passes were behind the line of scrimmage), and on rollouts to keep the fleet-footed Griffin out of the sights of the Saints pass rush. He was impressive. No doubt about that. Redskins fans should be happy. He'll have rougher games than this, but he'll be a success in this league.

No comments: