Monday, November 16, 2009

Nearly shutout? C'mon, guys.

I watched the game via NFL.com's live gamecast thingie. From what I hear, the Cowboys looked about as good in person and on television as they did on my little computer graphic tracker (which is to say, not very).

What I noticed while following what's essentially a play-by-play written description of the game was:
LOTS of penalties
FIVE sacks of Tony Romo. FIVE!??!!?
Giving up 1st downs on Packer 3rd downs constantly
Major, costly fumbles. Interceptions.
Complete lack of rhythm on offense
and perhaps most avoidably and stupid...
COMPLETE ABANDON OF THE RUNNING GAME!!! Marion Barber had 4 carries for something like 27 yards in the first quarter (almost 7 yards/carry). I'm pretty sure I read that he then had ONE carry the rest of the game. Dear Jason Garrett, for a guy who aspires to be an NFL head coach, you sure make some STUPID decisions. How about this stat: In this decade the Cowboys are 1-16 when rushing the ball fewer than 20 times. 1-16!!!! Geez, with a stat like that, if I'm the offensive coordinator I'd start the game off with 20 straight runs and THEN rely on my own whims for play-calling strategy. Completely ridiculous.

Roy Williams took the blame for the loss because of one play in the 2nd quarter when he caught a 42-yard pass... and then fumbled it. The most promising Cowboys drive of the game was halted in its tracks. No points. I appreciate Williams' shouldering the burden, and that was a costly mistake. BUT, the guy had his first 100-yard game as a Cowboy, and with how poorly the rest of the team looked, it's not all your fault, big guy.

Pretty much seems like the 'Boys played like they looked at the end of last season, and that's not comforting. I was beginning to think they were completely different.
(Stay in your seat... I've got another post on its way in just a few minutes! Hint: It has to do with a very entertaining Sunday Night game.)

No comments: