Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Favre Fever!

Can we just be clear about one thing? Bret Favre did not retire and then un-retire this offseason, so to everyone who writes for sports magazines, tv shows, and websites, please STOP with the "...again" talk when we're discussing this issue. It's not retirement when someone sends a text message to friends. In fact, the only reports I ever heard about these mysterious text messages was that it said, "This is it." That's not retirement. Retirement is what Favre did before last season, and the one before where he scheduled a press conference and clearly told the world he was done. 


Anyway, that's my rant. It's ridiculous.


I feel like I'm the only one left on the planet (who's not a die-hard through and through Vikings fan) who really likes Bret Favre. Everyone else thinks he's only in it for the money (a complete joke), he's a prima donna (but they can't quite define that), and he's ruining his legacy (I still can't stop laughing about that one).


To everyone spouting this nonsense I just have to ask, Have you ever watched this guy play football in your life? Have you ever heard him give an interview to the press? Do you honestly think he's been insincere in his two retirements? You really think he was holding out this season for more money? And his legacy? I'm willing to bet that Favre couldn't give a rodent's posterior about his so-called legacy. He plays because he loves football. He plays the game with more passion and heart than anyone I've ever seen. He's 40 years old and he plays like a 6-year old who's just learning how much fun the sport is.

Regarding the legacy talk, look at his numbers. Favre is easily one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game. That's not going to change because someone says, "Yeah, but he was kind of a jerk to the Packers that one time." C'mon. Drop it already.



I grew up watching Favre and his Packers give my Cowboys all they could handle. I was never a fan of his team, but I find it impossible not to enjoy watching the man play. I'm glad he's coming back because he's fantastic to watch. I'd love it if he played until he was 80, because I'm not sure there will be another player in my lifetime who plays with his intensity and passion.