Saturday, January 8, 2011

Seahawks flyin' high

I just wanted to say a few things regarding today's playoff games:

First, let me point out an interesting tidbit. The Seahawks have now won a playoff game... and they still have a losing record (8-9).

Second, I'd like to say that I LOVE that the Seahawks won today. I had some friends over tonight to watch the later game (Jets-Colts) and I was rooting for the Colts to win. It wasn't a real big deal for me, I was just hoping. I explained to a couple of my friends that I think the reason was pulling for the Colts is because I don't think the Jets are a legitimate contender, and so I like it when super-hyped teams who I don't believe are that good get beaten. Of course, a friend of mine then pointed out that I had been cheering for the Seahawks too, and in that game, certainly they were the non-contenders. I laughed with my friend, accepting the irony of my position.

After my friends left, however, I was thinking about it, and I think my position was consistent. Certainly the Seahawks can't be considered an NFC powerhouse, and the Saints were in the hunt for the #1 playoff seed up until the final week of the season! Still, there's always been something about the Saints to me where I feel like they win a lot of games they really shouldn't. Even as they ended the season with an impressive streak, they've never seemed to me like a Super Bowl caliber team.

Truth be told, what I'd really like to see in the NFC is the Packers beat the Eagles tomorrow (I think the Packers are the better team all around), which would lead to a Packers-Falcons game next weekend (those are the two best teams in the NFC in my opinion), and a Seahawks-Bears game (no matter who wins, I believe they lose in the NFC Championship the next week).

That's all I really have to say right now. Thanks.

2 comments:

Joel Rohde said...

Dude, speaking of overly hyped teams, da bears are just that. I hope the Seahawks DESTROY the bears. I mean I hope they pull out the proverbial paddle, bend the bears over a barrel, and swat the tar out of each of their butts. The bears suck. I've no clue how they won as many as they did.

In other news, I'm totally rooting for the Chiefs...I don't know why, but I love their coach.

Also, I think you were consistent. I mean NO ONE has hyped the Seahawks and they haven't won more games then they should. Quite the opposite in fact, they lost a whole bunch. At least now Breese can go back to saving New Orleans and all that crap.

Jake Rohde said...

You're funny.

I actually like Brees, and I was glad when the Saints won the Super Bowl last year... but it feels a little weird to me that we're all supposed to remain on the Saints' bandwagon, seemingly indefinitely. "It's such a great story! Brees is such a great guy! Sean Payton brought this team out of the muck following the hurricane! It's so uplifting!" All that was true... last year. Now they've won it. No more complaints, they're no longer underdogs. They're defending world champions. Time for me to cheer for someone else.