Thursday, October 13, 2011

Four Can't-Miss Predictions

Two weeks before the regular season began I boldly predicted that Dallas would finish the season ahead of the over-hyped Eagles. Here are a few more thoughts you can take to the bank after 5 NFL weeks:

1. The Cowboys will win the NFC East. Does anyone still need convincing that the Eagles are a better team on paper than on the field? Right now Washington leads the division, and Dallas has already defeated them once. A team with Rex Grossman at the helm will not win this division. And did you see the Giants play last week? Eli Manning is a very good quarterback, but his team is so up and down that there's no reason to put serious stock in their postseason chances.

2. The Lions will struggle to make the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, Detroit's a good team. But you can't get behind by 20 points and then come back to win as often as they try to. Sooner or later that catches up to you. The Packers are a superior team, which means Detroit will be vying for a wild card berth, and their competition will be fairly stiff (an NFC East team, an NFC South team, and maybe the Bears). What I will say: Calvin Johnson makes plays that no human being should be able to make. To me he's the Albert Pujols of the NFL. You just watch him and think, "how does he do that?"

3. The Packers have given me no reason to believe they can't repeat. They're without a doubt the best team in football today. Now, it's very tough to repeat in the NFL, and I don't know that they will do it, but if you pretend you don't remember last season and I asked you who looks like they could win the Super Bowl this year, your first choice would be Green Bay. Hands down.

4. Dallas will beat New England this Sunday. I don't really understand why I haven't heard a single "expert" who thinks the Cowboys have a real shot in this game. The Patriots have a pathetic defense (last in the league). The Patriots have an impressive offense (first in the league). But, the Cowboys have a really really good defense, with a coordinator who has promised to "throw the kitchen sink" at New England this week. And the Dallas offense is something like 12th in the league. Against a bad defense, Dallas will put up points. And against a good defense, New England won't be able to match them. Don't forget that Dallas is coming off a bye and will be mostly healthy for the first time all season. Miles Austin and Dez Bryant will BOTH be in this game. Romo's ribs will be two weeks healthier. Felix Jones's shoulder has had some time to heal. The defensive secondary will be played with true starters for once. And Rob Ryan has had two weeks of plotting a way to get to Tom Brady. Oh, and DeMarcus Ware is still a Cowboy. Dallas ought to be favored in this game. Instead, they're seen as a longshot.

4 comments:

Lisa Rohde said...

I'm a definite, I read all your posts and of course I also agree with them all. You're better than any sports writer. Now if I can just figure out how to subscribe. My word verification is navegge which seems to be a cross between navigate (which I sometimes find hard to do on the internet, and vegetable which is the state in which my mind seems to spend most it's time.

Jake Rohde said...

So... do you need assistance adding this to your reader? All you need to do is click on "Add a Subscription" at the top left-hand corner of your Google Reader window, then add the blog address into the box (http://thosecowboys.blogspot.com).

Thanks for commenting. And you're pretty funny.

Joel Rohde said...

What you actually should do is use firefox and the feedly extension. That is AWSESOME!

Jake Rohde said...

Thanks for the tip, Joel, but I'm not going to change my internet browser for a feed-reading extension. I've been enjoying Chrome for awhile now, so I'll stick with it.