Wednesday, November 16, 2011

some simple observations

The Cowboys have had incredible talent each of the last 5 years or so. Yet they have a tendency to falter against bad teams. Since their 13-3 regular season in 2007, I can't think of a time when they've really put together a solid streak of wins. I think when that happens to good teams, it's usually a sign of a coach who can't properly prepare his team every week.

The next three games for Dallas are against the Redskins, Dolphins and Cardinals. The 'Boys should be significant favorites in all three. These are what are often called "trap" games, because teams sometimes have a tendency to overlook weak opponents and focus on tougher games down the road. I think the next three weeks is when we'll find out what Jason Garrett is made of. If he can keep his team playing focused football (like they have the last two weeks), Dallas will be 8-4 heading into a final stretch that includes the Giants twice, Eagles and Bucs. Even of those final four, Dallas should win at least two (they're far better than both Philly & Tampa), and I think they have the ability to beat the Giants one or both times they play. Meanwhile, New York faces a terribly tough schedule that includes road games against the Saints, Cowboys and Jets, and a home game against the Packers who will have had 10 days to prepare (following Green Bay's Thanksgiving Day game in Detroit). If the Giants lose even a couple of those, the 'Boys could very well win this division (as I've believed all along).

No comments: