Sunday, September 21, 2008

Debriefing

The Positives:  The Cowboys won, and they won against what I think is a very good Packers team. In the first two games of the season, the Cowboys' biggest problem has been stupid mistakes/penalties.  Tonight they had a lot fewer penalties than in the first two games.  They still seem a little prone to inopportune fumbles and interceptions, but my confidence is growing. Felix Jones continues to look pretty good, and Marion Barber had a great night.  I will continue to argue that Jason Witten is the league's best all-around tight-end. I was a little struck by how often Dallas ran the ball.  I haven't looked at any numbers, but I'm guessing Romo's night wasn't anything spectacular stat-wise. He didn't seem to throw all that much, which is really kind of exciting considering how the offense was usually able to grind out pretty long drives.  This was a big win (they all are, but this was one I was a little worried about).  The last positive: My preseason prediction is still completely intact. (If you didn't catch it, I predicted that the 'Boys would go 13-3, with one loss apiece to Philadelphia and Washington, and one at Pittsburgh in December.)

The Negatives:  There are still some silly mistakes, and they often happen at terrible times (Romo's interception in the red zone).  Pacman still looks a little shaky in his position, and with Roy Williams out for a few weeks, that's not good.  I still feel like the defensive line needs to get to the QB a little quicker.  I know they got some sacks on Rodgers tonight, but I often felt like he had too much time and escaped the pocket and was able to make something happen. We've got to start trapping quarterbacks in the pocket and not giving them any running room.

These are my preliminary thoughts.  It's late and I'm tired.  More later... maybe.

No comments: