Saturday, January 3, 2009

I have read a lot over the last few days about the current NFL playoff system and it seems that many people think a change needs to be made. The controversy surrounds whether or not division winners should get automatic home playoff games. This conversation grows mostly out of the fact that the 12-4 Colts, a wildcard team, have to visit the 8-8 Chargers, the AFC West champs, for tonight's game. Similarly, the 11-5 Falcons (wildcard) have to travel to Arizona to face the 9-7 Cardinals (NFC West champs).

The headline article on sportsillustrated.com yesterday and today is by Peter King, who argues that while division winners should get automatic playoff bids, teams should be seeded by their record.

I'd love to hear more thoughts on this topic. What are your opinions? I won't leave you in the dark about mine: I like the way it is. If you want a home playoff game, win your division. Period. If you're lucky enough to be in the crappy NFC or AFC West, you just might finish the season with a so-so record and a division championship. That's life. Indianapolis won't complain. They'll just fly to San Diego (for the second time this season) and beat the Chargers (for the second time this season) because they're the better team.

Tell me what you think.

No comments: