If I controlled the universe (meaning: If I were Jerry Jones), I'd let [Cowboys' offensive coordinator] Jason Garrett take a head coaching position somewhere (ironically, Denver is talking to him regarding just that), demote Wade Phillips to defensive coordinator (where he belongs... he doesn't have the mentality of a head coach, in my humble opinion), and hire Shanahan. Additionally, I'd BACK OFF. The reason why it's still hard for me to see Shanahan working for Jones is that Shanahan had pretty much sovereign control over his Broncos for 14 years. He ran the team. He was the GM and head coach. Jerry Jones is not the kind of owner to cede that much power to anyone. He wants his fingers in everything. He wants to be the negotiator of trades, and the final say on draft picks. I'm not sure the two would jell.
Your thoughts?
2 comments:
I was thinking the other day this...hypothetically:
Tony Dungee's contract runs out and he gets offered a job at Dallas. I think he would be the ideal coach. The SI players poll did one on coaches they would like to play for and Tony Dungee won in a land slide. He is also in the playoffs every single year. However, I honestly don't think he could work with Jerry Jones for the exact reasons you mentioned. I think that more often than not Jerry hurts rather than helps.
Oh, and yes, I do read this blog.
I don't know very much about the NFL outside of watching games so I'm glad you share your opinion so I can sound smart around my friends (is that copyright infringement?). All I know about the coaching situation is that wade needs to go. About the playoff home field advantage from a few posts ago: I think it should stay as is. If you are that much better than another division champ, you shouldn't worry about playing on their turf. One more thing; I typed this entire comment on my iPod. Be impressed.
Post a Comment