Saturday, October 11, 2008

AFC West

I plan to write on each of the NFL's eight divisions and cover every team. Let's start with a look at the AFC West.

Denver Broncos: People (especially here in Denver) forget that this is a very young team. When we saw a 3-0 start, expectations of winning the division all of a sudden descended on Denver. I would describe this team as very good, with a LOT to improve on. Their defense actually showed up in week 5, surprising everyone. They have a fairly difficult schedule, as far as I'm concerned, but I think they should still at least compete for a division championship.

Projection: With the San Diego Chargers starting the season rather underwhelmingly, look for the Broncos to challenge for the division championship. Denver goes to San Diego in the last week of the season. Don't expect either team to have the West wrapped up. That game could decide the division champion. If Denver does not win the division, I think they'll still pick up a wild card spot for the playoffs.

Kansas City Chiefs: This is simply not a good team. I don't have a whole lot to say about them other than their inexperienced quarterbacks can't stop getting hurt, and it's tough to compete when that's the case.

Projection: If Kansas City wins five games they should consider this season a success.

Oakland Raiders: As long as Al Davis is alive and actively running the Raiders organization, it will probably be tough for them to succeed.

Projection: Same as Kansas City.

San Diego Chargers: Without Shawn Merriman the San Diego defense has not adequately adjusted. The Chargers have lost to every decent team they've played. Still, Philip Rivers looks pretty good, and I'm even told he leads NFL quarterbacks in fantasy points per game. The Chargers have not lost all hope by any means. They're still a good team, just probably not as dominant as most thought they'd be at this time.

Projection: Their home game against Denver in week 17 will decide whether or not they win the division, but even if not they'll pick up a wild card spot.

No comments: