What we're being fed: The Cowboys are in big trouble. They can't handle criticism. They have played poorly for two straight weeks. They're the third-best team in the NFC East. They got killed by the Redskins in week 4 and barely pulled out a win against the winless Bengals.
What's actually true: The Cowboys were defeated by the Redskins by 2 points in week 4. Did you see that? TWO points (but remember, they got KILLED). They beat the Bengals by nine. Did you see that? NINE points (but remember, they "escaped," and "barely pulled it out"). The Cowboys, by their own standards and those imposed by analysts and fans, have played to expectations in exactly one week so far. They've not been at their best the other four. Still, in the league's toughest division, they're 4-1.
Over the last couple of days I've read three or four stories that criticize Tony Romo for the following comment: "I'm sorry that I'm not sorry we won." I didn't see whatever interview he offered this up in, but I'm sure it came in response to someone's suggesting that they didn't play very well and they had mistakes. He's not denying that, by the way. Re-read the quote. He's not sorry that they won, and he makes no apologies. (two of those stories can be found here and here)
Of all the credible places where I could find this week's power rankings (ESPN, NBC Sports, Fox Sports, and Sports Illustrated), no one had the Cowboys ranked lower than 5th or higher than 2nd. What's all the fuss about?
No comments:
Post a Comment