Monday, October 13, 2008

Gloom, but not quite doom

A shout-out to Jase, the only reader of this blog (that I'm aware of) who messaged me earlier saying, "You need to blog on Valley Ranch so that I know what to think."

I don't know if I'd say it's time to panic, but it's certainly time to feel fairly uncomfortable about the Cowboys' chances at going very deep in the playoffs. Tony Romo has a broken pinkie and will be out for four weeks. Other key players are out with injuries too (Felix Jones, Sam Hurd, Matt McBriar, and more). The next three games for the 'Boys are @ St. Louis, against Tampa Bay, and against the New York Giants. If Dallas wins two of those games with 40-year old backup quarterback Brad Johnson I'll consider it a success. 

The Cowboys have been outcoached and outplayed in their two losses this season. I thought that the loss to Washington two weeks ago would serve as a wake-up call. Then they played poorly against the Bengals last week, so I thought maybe THAT was the wake-up call. Now I'm convinced that it's gonna take more than poor play and softy coaches that treat the players like sensitive junior highers to get through to this team. They need some tough love.

I haven't thrown in the towel on the season for the Cowboys. They're still 4-2, and a lot can happen in 11 weeks of an NFL season. I still fully expect a playoff birth and at least a win or two. So, Jase, be angry at Jerry Jones, Wade Phillips, Jason Garrett, and every one of the players, but don't stop cheering for the Cowboys. They'll pull out a few big wins yet.

No comments: