Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Are you kidding me?

I subscribe to a few different Cowboys-related blogs in my feed-reader, but I don't usually read much of what comes through. I often scan the headlines where I learn most of the important stuff. I'll read the occasional game re-cap article, and sometimes there are some very good analyses from different sports writers, but since there are often a couple of dozen posts per day about the Cowboys, I probably read about 1% of them.

I did happen to notice THIS post today, though, and I couldn't help asking, "Is this for real?" Apparently, when Randy Moss entered the NFL draft over 12 years ago there was a chance the Cowboys could pick him. They didn't. That seems to be considered a "snub," and Moss, reportedly, still plays with a little bit of a "chip on his shoulder" against the Cowboys because of it.

I can't believe this is actually something reporters are taking the time to comment on this week.

I guess the way I see it is that any player in any draft who isn't the #1 overall pick has been "snubbed" by someone. If you're the #5 overall pick, you've been snubbed by 4 teams, right? Technically, any player chosen in the second round or later has been snubbed by every team including his own. If Dallas had selected Moss with their second-round pick (I have no idea when Moss was chosen, by the way), they still would have "snubbed" him the first time around. Would he play with a chip on his shoulder then? For his own team? This is just a ridiculous notion to me. I don't have anything against Moss, either. I've seen stories like these about numerous other players. He's the topic today because he's the one I read about today. This just seems utterly silly to me. Anyone else?

1 comment:

Joel Rohde said...

In my opinion, if I'm a professional athlete, I play with a chip on my shoulder against EVERY team I'm not on. Why? Cause it's my job to want to beat them. I guess I don't get it. It seems silly to me as well.