Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Super Bowl contenders

My brother (one of two people who read this blog) asked me last night who I would predict to be in the Super Bowl after 5 weeks in the NFL. My response: Ravens and Falcons.

Obviously, a lot can change in the next twelve weeks, but right now I believe the Ravens look like the best team in the AFC, and nobody looks all that good in the NFC. The Falcons are the best NFC team almost by default.

Do you agree? Disagree?

Note: ESPN's power rankings this week have the New Orleans Saints at number 9. Through the first 5 weeks, the Saints had held either number 1 or 2, but this week's loss to the Cardinals made them tumble seven spots. Here the thing, though: The Saints' three wins have been against teams who are 1-13 combined. I don't know how they stayed at the top this long, and I would argue that number 9 is probably too high for them.

But, I don't want to turn into one of those commenters at whom I laugh each week because of how desperately they argue for and against a team's standings in the ESPN power rankings (which, as any sane person knows, has absolute NO value in determining who will actually win anything).

2 comments:

Joel Rohde said...

I'm gonna say Steelers over the Ravens. I have no clue in the NFC. I think it's still anybody's game. Including Dallas, Green Bay, and Minnesota. No one is out of it in the NFC and, lets face it, do you REALLY think that Atlanta and Chicago have anything more than a couple fluke wins?

Jake Rohde said...

Atlanta lost in overtime to Pittsburgh (either the league's first- or second-best team) in Week 1. They've beaten 4 teams since then, including Arizona (who just beat the defending Super Bowl champions), and New Orleans (who ARE the defending Super Bowl champions). I'd say they have far fewer fluke wins than any other NFC team. Still, you're right that everybody in the NFC is still in it, except I would argue that Dallas is done. They COULD make the playoffs, but NFL teams don't succeed in the postseason with any two of the following (and the 'Boys have all three): 1) Lousy coaching, 2) A problem with turnovers, and 3) a problem with penalties. This team won't turn those things around, and that spells doom. Chicago is more flukey than Atlanta, definitely.

I went back and forth between the Steelers and Ravens, and on any given day I might have leaned the other way, so I won't argue with you there.

Lotta football left!