Thursday, November 13, 2008

Is Romo the team's savior?

Today I wore my Jason Witten jersey to school. I do that when a) I'm relishing a sweet victory from the Sunday before, b) I'm excited about this Sunday's upcoming games, and/or c) I want people to start football conversations with me (as an unmentioned bonus, my wife also thinks I look hot in it). Today it was a combination of b) and c).

So today before one of my classes started a friend asked, "So, is Romo going to return and be the savior of the team?" This post is essentially my long, drawn-out response (not the response I immediately gave him, but the one I've had a little time to think about).

We all know that the quarterback is the most important position on the field. It's quite possible, as the New England Patriots are finding out, that the second most important position is that of backup quarterback. As has been mentioned many times by analysts and announcers over the past few weeks, the Cowboys did a completely inadequate job of filling the backup qb position. Neither Brad Johnson nor Brooks Bollinger were capable backups to Tony Romo, and coaches and owners HAVE to know that in this league players get hurt. It was reckless for the powers that be at Valley Ranch (and I hope we all understand that "the powers that be" is a euphemism for "Jerry Jones") to neglect the backup qb position and, in a way, to bank the team's success on the hope that Romo wouldn't get hurt.

That being said, we have to realize that before Romo got hurt the Cowboys had been on a 1-2 streak, which is exactly what they've been since his injury. That means that his return does not necessarily spell success for the rest of the year. Dallas has a long hard road to the playoffs ahead of them, and Sunday's game is a must-win.

Finally, if the Cowboys do look good on Sunday and come out with the win they need, it won't be only Romo's doing. This week they're also welcoming back Kyle Kosier (left guard), Terence Newman (cornerback), and Felix Jones (running back). These are three bigtime players that have been sorely missed.

I'm ready for a win. Can't wait 'til Sunday.

No comments: