Sunday, November 9, 2008

Usually I'm not this random

I wanted the Iggles to beat the G-Men tonight on SNF, only because I don't want New York running away with the division... and that's what they're doing. My consolation, I guess, is that now the Eagles are technically last in the division and Dallas is third (same record, Cowboys won head-to-head).

I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again: Next weekend's game between Dallas (with most of their key players back) and Washington will probably determine in my mind whether or not the 'Boys will squeak into the playoffs.

What's with the Chargers? I called them the AFC's Super Bowl reps a few weeks ago after they manhandled the Pats, but now their back looking mediocre. They came within a two-point conversion today of getting knocked off by the Chiefs.

Then Indianapolis goes into Pittsburgh and wins a close game. This would be easier if the Colts would let us write them off for the year (their division leaders -- the Titans -- are 9-0 and not slowing down), but they look like they're gonna contend for a wild card spot, and once Peyton Manning's in the playoffs, who knows what happens. It would also be easier if the Steelers kept beating everyone who's not in the NFC East so that they could be a solid favorite in the AFC (while still keeping those pesky how-in-the-world-are-you-still-undefeated Titans in mind).

Do you realize the Packers have a losing record? I feel like a week and a half ago everyone was talking about how they'd win their division handily, and looked like a legitimate challenge to the Giants in the NFC. Nope. Not so much. Adrian Petersen steam-rolled the Pack today. The kid rushed for 192 yards. A HUNDRED AND NINETY-TWO! I can't ride a bike 192 yards without stopping for breather.

I look forward to Peter King's Monday Morning QB tomorrow -- the best column of the week. I usually follow ESPN for football headlines and columns and analysis, but Peter King at Sports Illustrated writes the best weekly on the NFL that there is. Ironically, his colleague, Dr. Z, consistently has the worst stuff each week. His power-rankings aren't always terrible, but when he actually tries to write narrative you wonder how he ever got hired. His "mail bag" a few days ago was an absolute yawn. When he does mention football (which is much rarer than it should be for an SI.com football writer), he sounds like a complete bonehead. I'm done ranting about Dr. Z now.

I saw a few commercials for tomorrow night's MNF game today. ABC and ESPN are trying to hype it up. I'm not buying. Why, you ask? Because it's between the Cardinals and the 49ers.

Note: Next week's Cowboys-Redskins game is on Sunday Night Football, which means I'll be antsy all week. SNF is great, because it features Al Michaels and John Madden -- the two best football announcers, AND because the NBC Football Night in America crew (Bob Costas, Cris Collinsworth, Tikki Barber, Jerome Bettis, and Dan Patrick [Keith Olberman is funny, but I don't like his politics]) is also the best on TV. They have an advantage, first of all, because their show is on after the day's games are over, so they're recapping and analyzing, which is much more fun than the other networks' pre-game shows where Terry Bradshaw inflates his ego on Fox and CBS hires every just-retired pro-bowler in the game to jaw about the day's games even though no one knows what will happen. (I'm not going to re-read that last sentence, but I feel like it lacks focus)

1 comment:

Joel Rohde said...

I thought I would add a few things. First, SNF rocks because it is free. None of this ESPN have to pay 60 bucks a month to watch it. I love it. The games are usually every bit meaningful too.