Friday, November 21, 2008

Running backs

Rookie running back Felix Jones is done for the year. He has missed four games with a hamstring injury, and yesterday it was reported that during some portion of his rehab he injured his big toe and will now have to have surgery on it, ending his season. It takes something like six months to recover from this particular surgery.

I just want to say that this sucks. Even though the Cowboys have the potential to play very well without him, and even though he's probably not quite as vital to the success of the offense as Tony Romo (at least not yet), in the six games he played he looked fantastic. He averaged close to nine yards per carry. NINE YARDS! A "very good" running back averages close to five. His explosive speed was a complement to Marion Barber's battering ram style that defenses couldn't seem to be able to figure out. He rushed for an ll yard touchdown the first time he touched the ball this season. He'll be missed. I can't wait to have him back next season.

Commenters on the ESPN story about Jones's injury were saying stuff like, "Now the Cowboys are screwed. Barber's going to run out of steam without Jones to carry some of the load." I personally happen to think that such a comment is misinformed, if not flat out stupid. I have never seen Marion Barber run out of steam in my life. As a matter of fact, he usually performs the best in the fourth quarter.

No comments: